Sunday, October 23, 2016

Seeing a lot of Art in London


London has tons of museums, street art, and performances. It can be intimidating and overwhelming at first. Don't be. A lot of it is accessible and free for everyone.

The Museums I visited were mostly free admission.
British Museum (Gratis)
National Portrait Gallery (Gratis)
National Gallery (Gratis)
Tate Museum  (Gratis)
and Textile & Fashion museum

On a previous visit a few years ago I also visited the Tower of London, Kensington Palace, and the Tate Museum.

Here are some of my pictures from my museum whirlwind. :-)

Some of the photos from The National Portrait gallery:





The National Portrait Gallery is a medium sized museum that houses portraits that range from the Royal family lineage to the families of Dukes, Duchesses, to Celebrities, Politicians, etc. Its a lot of portraits to take in all at once so just be prepared to see faces staring back at you ;-) I spent a couple hours in this gallery but one could spend more time perusing the galleries. Admission is free for the public except for the special temporary exhibitions.

British museum: 





The British Museum houses many large collections and one can easily spend a whole day here getting lost. My favorite section are the Roman sculptures. This museum also houses a large Egyptian collection, Rosetta Stone, and more. This is a great rainy day activity.

Tate museum:









I love modern art and the Tate Museum is one of my favorite museums for modern art. A lot of people have this misconception about modern art that its hard to understand and at times absurd. I don't love all modern art but it gets the viewer to stand there and analyse the piece. You interpret what you want about the piece using your background experiences. Then you try to figure out what the artist is trying to say. Its usually art that makes you think and realise a bit of humanity. This is why I love modern art. When I went to visit this museum last month, I found a temporary exhibit about performers and choreographers using video, film, and spoken dialogue. Pina Bausch, Anna Teresa de Keersmaker, Merce Cunningham and Philip Glass were highlighted.

Textile and fashion museum: 






I had about a couple hours before a wine tasting in the Bermondsey street area so I stopped into the Fashion and Textile museum. Its a small museum that houses a gift shop and a cafe. They focus on one exhibit at a time and then change it quarterly. I would recommend checking out their current 1920s jazz age exhibit. Its my favorite era because everyone loved to party, drink, dance their nights away with a carefree attitude. The glitzy dresses and videos of women doing the charleston as well as relics and photographs from the era were on display. This little museum surprised me and I really enjoyed my visit there. Definitely check it out if you're in this cute little area filled with cafes, restaurants, bars, art galleries, and Wine school.



No comments:

Post a Comment